True and real happiness is to be found within, in the state of our hearts. It does not exist on the far side of some distant mountains. It is within you, yourself. It doesn’t matter how much you try, you can never run away from yourself. And if you are weak, unhappiness will follow you wherever you go.
You will never find happiness if you don’t challenge your weaknesses and change yourself from within.
These are 7 of my favorite simple quotes about life and happiness that help get me going:
1. „Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself – no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are – completely; the good and the bad – and make changes as YOU see fit – not because you think someone else wants you to be different.” Stacey Charter
When your happiness begins to rely on any person, achievement or outcome (or a fragile amalgam of these) then you may discover that you’re emotionally dependent. It’s not an easy thing to face, nor is it your fault, but it is a challenge which is vital to address.
2. „There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” Epictetus
There are numerous things that happen each day that are outside of your control too. You have no influence over the events that unfold outside of your control, so why sit around worrying?
3. „To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness.” Mary Stuart
Kindness is pretty awesome. It creates an overall climate of acceptance, trust and comfort. Genuine kindness is a trait pretty much everyone admires and appreciates.
4. „Happy people plan actions, they don’t plan results.” Dennis Waitley
Happy people don’t forget to make their lives matter whether it’s taking action on dreams and goals or taking action to improve their lives, they just do it there is no excuse.
5. „For many men, the acquisition of wealth does not end their troubles, it only changes them.” Seneca
Money. It can’t buy you happiness, you know. After you make enough to take care of your family’s basic needs (clothing, housing, food, etc.), more money won’t necessarily make you any happier.
6. „Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” Marcus Aurelius Antonin
Happy people don’t forget to be happy! Happiness is a a science and a choice. Happiness comes through what we choose to think, our thoughts create our feelings, which create emotions (positive or negative) and our emotions are what makes us feel unhappy or happy.
Happy people know that happiness is a choice. They are aware it is not a reaction to current circumstances. Instead, happiness is an available decision despite them. They have detached from the thinking that waits for everything to be perfect before joy in life is experienced.
7. „Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain
Happy people don’t forget to create for themselves what they truly want in life. Sometimes taking action and moving forward can be frightening, but happy people take the plunge anyway rather then staying stuck, unhappy and unfulfilled.
If you’ve been looking for happiness, the good news is that your thoughts, choices and actions can influence your state of happiness. It’s not as easy as flipping a switch, but you can increase your level of happiness.
Featured image source – lmt-lss.com