When we say chlorophyll, we certainly remember the biology classes from school. We know from childhood that this substance is responsible for the green color of plants.
Besides, it has many benefits for our body and vegetarians are fully enjoying these!
Because fruits and vegetables are the most important part of a vegan diet, people living this lifestyle can say that they are fully enjoying the many benefits that this substance brings to their body.
But it’s not absolutely necessary to be a vegan for you to enjoy the many health benefits of this substance.
What is chlorophyll?
In very simple terms, it is the substance that gives plants the green color. It is, in fact, a pigment. Through photosynthesis, plants convert the solar energy into chlorophyll and then they release oxygen into the atmosphere.
Remember this lesson from biology class?
Just like blood is important for human life, this substance is important for plants’ life. And another thing: the molecules are very similar to blood molecules.
The only difference is that the central atom from blood is iron, while the central atom is magnesium. In fact, magnesium is the answer to this question too: why is green associated with it and not red or orange?
The explanation is as follows: magnesium captures beams, and of all, green is the only one that can’t be captured, hence the green color of plants.
Why is it so important?
It seems that this unique compound has a number of health benefits for the human body. It is known to be a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties for the body.
An important thing to remember is that plants and vegetables should be consumed raw as much as possible, in order to enjoy the intake of it. When cooked, vegetables (spinach, broccoli, green pepper, lettuce, green beans and so on) lose the green color, namely the magnesium molecule, and implicitly the chlorophyll. Vegans enjoy a significant intake of it, due to the abundance of green vegetables in their menu.
- It is the best remedy for gastrointestinal disorders. Animal fats, processed and low fiber foods contribute to the occurrence of diseases located in the colon. Green vegetables contain lots of this amazing substance and other natural nutrients that heal the intestinal tract, cleaning the colon and thus ensuring good health.
- It helps detoxify the body and eliminate toxins that cause cancer. Research has shown that cancer-causing genes can be destroyed by chlorophyllin, a derivative of it, which prevents the formation of cancer cells.
- It fights infections. It is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, containing vitamin A, C, and E, which are responsible for reducing inflammation. Due to its antiseptic properties, chlorophyll helps kill germs and microbes, thus treating infections.
- It contributes to the formation of hemoglobin and red blood cells. During the digestion of green vegetables, magnesium rebuilds and refreshes the red blood cells. Hemoglobin is responsible for the red pigment of red blood cells and carries the oxygen in the blood to the tissues. In fact, our blood consists of approximately 75% hemoglobin.
- It strengthens the immune system. Some anaerobic bacteria cannot live in the presence of oxygen, therefore the use of it leads to their inhibition. Also, it is miraculous due to its alkalizing property, ensuring an alkaline environment within the blood and thus reducing bacteria. The result? The immune system of people who eat this substance is at least two times stronger than of those who don’t consume it.
- This amazing substance promotes colon cleaning and proliferation of intestinal bacterial flora, as it has an anti-inflammatory effect, resulting in an improved intestinal transit. In addition, other organs can benefit from its amazing properties, such as the liver, stomach, and gallbladder. Moreover, it has the ability to help disintegrate kidney stones, created by our own body in order to neutralize the excess of acid and to accelerate its natural elimination.
- It contains vitamin K and C, folic acid, iron, calcium, protein. These nutrients are essential in the building and repairing process of red blood cells. Also, due to these compounds, our body enjoys a high level of energy.
- It is also an effective deodorizer, reducing bad odors: bad breath, body odor, urine, and so on.
How to consume it?
There are many ways in which we can consume it, but, certainly, the best way for our body is to assimilate it from green plants. The greener the plant, the more of this substance it contains.
The largest amount of this substance is found in spinach, lettuce, rucola, cabbage, parsley and wheat germs. Also, certain algae such as spirulina or chlorella contain a considerable amount of this wonderful substance.
There could be some adverse effects, including nausea and vomiting from these supplements. Furthermore, occasionally these supplements could negatively interact with prescriptions drugs you are ingesting. More importantly, allergic reactions can appear from these type of supplements, most likely due to a contamination during the fabrication process.